How to Develop Grit and Amplify Your Creativity — Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman | Flow Research Collective Radio
About the episode
In this episode, we are joined by Dr. Angela Duckworth who’s TED talk is among the most-viewed of all time. Her book Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance is a #1 New York Times best seller. She is accompanied by Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman.
Scott likes to share his enthusiasm for psychology through his teaching, writing, speaking, and podcast.
In this episode, you will learn about:
- The definition of grit (2:50)
- Busting myths of creativity (08:30)
- The relationship between grit and dopamine (15:00)
- Why it is crucial to study outside your main area of expertise (18:40)
- Grit and autism (22:00)
- Achievement, talent and efforts (28:20)
- The role of autonomy in being gritty (31:50)
- Scott on his purpose in his life (36:00)
- The little depression after finishing a project (40:00)
About the guests
Angela Duckworth is the founder and CEO of Character Lab, a nonprofit whose mission is to advance scientific insights that help children thrive. She is also the Rosa Lee and Egbert Chang Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, faculty co-director of the Penn-Wharton Behavior Change for Good Initiative, and faculty co-director of Wharton People Analytics.
A 2013 MacArthur Fellow, Angela has advised the White House, the World Bank, NBA and NFL teams, and Fortune 500 CEOs.
Prior to her career in research, Angela founded a summer school for low-income children that was profiled as a Harvard Kennedy School case study and, in 2018, celebrated its 25th anniversary. She has also been a McKinsey management consultant and a math and science teacher at public schools in New York City, San Francisco, and Philadelphia.
Scott Barry Kaufman is a humanistic psychologist exploring the depths of human potential. He has taught courses on intelligence, creativity, and well-being at Columbia University, NYU, the University of Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. He is interested in using his research to help all kinds of minds live a creative, fulfilling, and self-actualized life.
- Web: Angela Duckworth
- Video: Angela Duckworth’s TED talk
- Book: Angela Duckworth - Grit, The Power of Passion and Perseverance
- Web: Scott Barry Kaufman
- Book: Scott Barry Kaufman - Transcend, The New Science of Self Actualization
- Audio: The Psychology Podcast