Become A Rockstar Deal Maker By Learning To Negotiate In Flow — Chris Voss | Flow Research Collective Radio
About the episode
In this episode, we are joined by Chris Voss, the Author of Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It and we talk about all things flow and negotiations.
In this episode, you will learn about:
- The right frame of mind to negotiate (04:10)
- Why the switch to a positive mindset is crucial (05:00)
- Chris’ practices to stay in a good frame of mind (05:45)
- Flow in relation to negotiation (09:10)
- How to navigate the paradox of outcome independence and clear goals (16:45)
- Forced empathy (23:10)
- How to get passed your cognitive biases (32:45)
- How to not feel bad about getting a good deal (37:25)
- Group flow for crisis situation (43:00)
- Training to be at your best and repetition (46:00)
- Emotional intelligence and conflict (46:50)
- Calling up the negative (55:30)
- High performance in the face of repeated patterns (1:01:00)
About the guest
Chris Voss is the CEO & Founder of the Black Swan Group and the Author of Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It.
Chris was the lead international kidnapping negotiator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as the FBI’s hostage negotiation representative for the National Security Council’s Hostage Working Group.
Chris Voss was a member of the New York City Joint Terrorist Task Force for 14 years. He was the case agent on such cases as TERRSTOP (the Blind Sheikh Case – Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman), the TWA Flight 800 catastrophe and negotiated the surrender of the first hostage taker to give up in the Chase Manhattan bank robbery hostage taking.
During Chris’s 24 year tenure in the Bureau, he was trained in the art of negotiation by not only the FBI but Scotland Yard and Harvard Law School. He is also a recipient of the Attorney General’s Award for Excellence in Law Enforcement and the FBI Agents Association Award for Distinguished and Exemplary Service.
Chris has taught business negotiation in the MBA program as an adjunct professor at University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business and at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business. He has taught business negotiation at Harvard University, guest lectured at The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, The IMD Business School in Lausanne, Switzerland and The Goethe School of Business in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Web: Chris Voss at the Black Swan Group
- Book: Chris Voss - Never Split the Difference
- Video: Carol Dweck - Developing a Growth Mindset
Like this episode?